Friday, May 21, 2010

The journey thus far...

I have been looking at my final itinerary for my flight to Kenya, and I can't believe it's almost here! A mere 6 months ago I had no idea that this trip would even be in existence. For over two years now I've really had a desire to travel and give a chunk of my time and gifts over for the Lord to use in whatever way he pleases, and because I'm in school summer seems like the prime time to go. In November I really began to look at what options I had to travel and work. In December, two of my friends shared with me about the Volunteers In Action program through World Gospel Missions. The more I read about the VIA program, the more intrigued I was. I've been praying about this trip for some time now, and as I began applying I felt like there were so many doors that opened for this all to work out.

Once I was accepted to the program I was asked where I wanted to serve. I really didn't know where the Lord wanted me for the summer. There were three places that had opportunities that aligned with my heart for kids and especially orphans. I applied for all three one of which was Kenya. Soon after I heard back from the other two sites. They said that they would love to have me. I felt some disappointment when I didn't hear back from Kenya. It didn't sound very promising that I would be accepted there, but I decided hold out to hear from them and the longer I waited the more excited I became to go to Kenya.

A couple weeks later, I was at Bible study with several people from church and school. One of the guys at the study had brought his little 7 month-old daughter along. I was holding her as we talked. She was so precious! She kept looking up at me and smiling and then she started chewing on my hand- drooling all over me... Hah! I can't tell you how much holding this little girl brought me joy in that moment... and I felt so much that Kenya was exactly where I was supposed to be for the summer- spending time with the little ones at the AGC Baby Center... Two days later I got the good news that I had been accepted to go to Kenya. In the next days and weeks I was blessed to speak with several people from Kenya and who had gone to the Baby Center. All these interactions have been such an encouragement and blessing! The Lord is faithful...

Less than two weeks left now! :)

1 comments:

Kate said...

Yay, so exciting! I'm sure the little kiddies in Kenya will love you!

Post a Comment