Friday, June 4, 2010

travel time

Hello from Kenya! I have officially been here in the country two whole days. The flight here went well… I met up with another WGM volunteer in Detroit and the two of us flew the seven hours over the sea to Amsterdam where we were scheduled to have an hour and a half layover then continue to Nairobi from here. As it turned out, we ended up getting off the plane and running to our next plane just minutes before it took off to Kenya. It was a bit nerve racking, but we made it and we were so thankful to finally be buckled in for the next 7 hour flight down to Kenya. However, because of our quick switch in Amsterdam our pilot informed us that several of the passengers’ bags did not make it onto the flight. Judy, the other volunteer I was traveling with, was one such passenger. It wasn’t the most pleasant news to hear after 14 hours of plane rides… We waited an hour to buy our visas and then I went to claim my luggage and Judy went to report hers as missing. Around this time, I discovered that only one of my two bags had arrived. The missing bag contained all my clothing, and the one I got was full of towels, sheets, peanut butter, and cheerios. Not very helpful. The airline said that the bags should be coming in the morning though, and to check back at the airport then. We stayed the night in Nairobi and then called in the morning. They reported that they had Judy’s bags, but when we asked about mine they said, “Kirsten Wenger? We have no idea about that bag.” Haha- what?! We went to the airport anyways to claim the bags and lo and behold, my bag was there too! Praise the Lord!

All in all, it was a smooth traveling experience and I’m so thankful for the prayers of many people during our flight.

I’m here at the Center now and today was my first day to walk around and really see the children and the facility. I really love it. All the children are absolutely beautiful and so precious! I feel so blessed to be here.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Kirsten, glad to hear you made it to your destination safely and that your bag 'found' you! We look forward to reading your updates. Will you be posting photos? Hugs, Kim and Ron

Anonymous said...

Kirsten! Your blog is so cute! I love the fonts for your title. I'm definitely following your journey overseas, and I'm praying for you, too! I can't wait to hear your stories in the fall :) Stay safe and bring me a zebra. please and thank you.

Love, Janelle

Post a Comment