Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Jambo

Habari yako? There is about 50% of my Swahili so far! It’s been a while since I’ve written much, but the past week has been a lot of adjustments for me. I think I’m about adjusted to the time change. Swahili is definitely a challenge, but everyone here at the AGC Baby Centre has been so helpful! The change in food has been no problem! I have had some great Kenyan food. I don’t know how to spell much of it but I love the chapatis and irio… Also- it is very important here to break a couple times a day to have chai, which I very much enjoy. Today we also got “drinking chocolate” or hot chocolate to the American.

Mary is another girl that is here through the same VIA program as me. We share an apartment here at the AGC Baby Centre. She’s been here about 2½ weeks already so she’s filled me in a lot about how things work around here. Her and I are becoming quite the chefs, but it is really nice too that we have had a constant flow of delicious mango that needs no preparation at all. (I recently learned the proper way to cut one! Haha..)

The staff that I work with is amazing. The administrative staff meets every morning at 9 for devotions and prayer, and I have been so blessed to join and pray with them. Kenyans are incredibly hospitable and welcoming… I am continually challenged by them to be so much more outgoing and thoughtful of those around me. The tempo of life here is a lot more laid back too. A lot of this may be because everything takes longer to do here than it does in the U.S. but I think a lot has to do with the easygoing culture here.

There are 40 toddlers and infants that are here at the AGC Baby Centre. I’m doing my best to learn names, but it’s quite a challenge! I’ve called Phyllis James and I’ve called Lydia Caleb… oops. I will hopefully get better as time goes on. The work that have put in so far with these little ones has already been SO rewarding. I love when the toddlers surround me with their little arms grabbing my legs or reaching up to be held. Most times just saying, “Sasa!” is all it takes to get a huge smile in response.

One last thing before I sign off… The countryside here is beautiful. Mary and I went for a run this afternoon right after it rained and when we turned around to head back to the center, the view of the mountains made us both gasp. It was stunning. The song “Indescribable” has been in my head ever since that sight. What an awesome God we serve!

2 comments:

abechtel said...

I'm happy to hear that you've been blessed already by those precious babies and the scenery! :-)

Can't wait to hear more as times goes on!! Love and prayers!

Unknown said...

I love your reference to the mountains. I myself have an amazing view of the mountains here in Honduras all the time. The location I am at is surrounded by so much beauty and wonder.

Post a Comment